For more detailed information, please change to the German version of this website.

International applicants

Online Consultation hour

International Student Services offers online consultation hours for applicants on the BigBlueButton platform on the following days (link updated on 31.03.2021):
- On Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 2 to 4 pm
- On Thursdays from 10am to 12pm

PLEASE NOTE that there is no online consultation on the following days:
- On Wednesday 14 April 2021

Please do not forget to select the microphone icon before entering the virtual consultation room.





Application at UdK Berlin

Nationality is not important for the admission at UdK Berlin. If you intend to study at UdK Berlin, you are subject to the same rules as German applicants. However, you have to prove your German language skills if you don't hold German citizenship. If you got your high school certificate or university degree outside Germany, you must have them recognised by uni-assist before applying at UdK. This applies to some Bachelor and to all Master programmes. Please also read the information regarding visa requirements at the bottom of the page!

Please find more details about uni-assist here.

Applications from China or Mongolia or Vietnam

If you went to school and/or studied at a university in China, Mongolia or Vietnam, you will have to contact the institute of APS (Akademische Prüfstelle) connected to the German Embassy of your respective Country.  Please find more Information and forms on their websites.

Language Abilities

The teaching language in almost all study courses at UdK Berlin is German.  Therefore, International applicants have to demonstrate their knowledge of German at the time of application. If you have a German high-school certificate or a university degree, you don’t need to prove your language level.

Exception: There is no need to certify your knowledge of German for the master programmes at the Jazz Institute (JIB), for the master programme Chamber Music (for Ensembles) and for the English-taught master programmes Solo/ Dance/ Authorship and Sound Studies and Sonic Arts.   

The language requirements depend on the study course. You will find the required levels in the Application Information Document (PDF) on the relevant page of each study course.

German courses

German courses for applicants are offered at UdK Berlin, depending on the availability of free places.

The  level of German language needed for the application can be acquired at any official language school at home and abroad.

The  Modern Language Centre of the Technische Universität Berlin, the Zentraleinrichtung Moderne Sprachen (ZEMS),  located close to UdK Berlin Central Campus,  offers language classes too. Guest auditors including students from other universities can only attend these classes if places are still available.

The ZEMS also offers the online language placement test onSET Deutsch. This test takes 40 minutes and can be taken at the ZEMS Mediothek  after arranging an individual appointment.
PLEASE NOTE that the onSET Deutsch placement test is ONLY accepted for the application and not for the enrolment!


Accepted proof of language

We accept the following documents as language proofs:

  • German citizenship or if the official language of your state is German
  • all official language certificates as long as they are equivalent to the Common European Framework of reference for languages (ERF), e.g. A2
  • a confirmation from your language school regarding  the completion of the course of the required level - Only valid for the application!
  • an assessment test ( only with identification) for the next level,  e.g. the assessment test for B1 as proof of the completed A2 level - Only valid for the application!
  • an OnSet Deutsch placement test.  Please submit the evaluation according to the ERF (e.g. A2; B1) and a printed copy of the OnSet Deutsch results - Only valid for the application!
  • a school report according to the following regulations:  A2 = min. 3 years of German lessons,  B1 = min. 5 years
  • TestDAF with overall average grade from all four performances accordingly: B1 = GPA greater than/ equal to 3, B2 = GPA greater than/ equal to 3,5; C1 = GPA greater than/ equal to 4
  • DSH, ÖSD according to the ERF
  • a German university degree equates to the completed level C1


Due to the Corona pandemic most German embassies and consulates are on limited operation. For more information on the visa procedure, please contact the German mission abroad in your home country.

If you require a visa please contact the relevant German embassy to get information on study applicant visa (Studienbewerbervisum).

We advise you to apply for a visa straight after receiving the confirmation of your application to make sure that you can travel to Germany on time, in case you get an invitation for the entrance examination. You will get the confirmation of application together with the application number via email after submitting the online application form. You should bring the confirmation together with the Application Information Document (PDF) to the embassy.   Please note that the visa process can take up to several weeks and that dates for the entrance examination can’t be changed.

We can't provide any kind of “pre-admission” or “conditional admission” because an admission to UdK depends on the applicant's artistic talent only. This artistic talent can only be tested and assessed by the entrance committee during the regular admission process.

Please don’t travel to Germany with a tourist visa. A tourist visa can never be changed into a residence permit, which allows you to stay in Germany during your studies. Please note that you cannot get a residence permit for part-time studies.

If you have any question about study programmes at UdK Berlin or visa requirements, you are welcome to contact the International Student Services.

Related Topics