Repertoire viola competition
- First movement from a concerto by Béla Bartók or William Walton or the third movement of Paul Hindemith´s “Der Schwanendreher”
- One short virtuoso piece with or without piano
- Two contrasting movements from a sonata/piece for viola and piano
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Prelude and one other movement from one of the suites for viola solo BWV 1010-1012 or two contrasting movements from the sonatas and partitas for violin solo BWV 1001-1006
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Prelude and one other movement from one of the Suites for viola solo BWV 1010-1012 or two contrasting movements from the Sonatas and Partitas for violin solo BWV 1001-1006
- One of the suites for viola solo by Max Reger, Adolf Busch, Fjodor Druschinin or Paul Hindemith
- First movement of one of the following sonatas:
· Franz Schubert: Sonata A minor D 821 “Arpeggione” or
· Johannes Brahms: Sonata No. 1 G Major op. 78
- Compulsory composition written for the International Max Rostal Competition by Kurt Rohde: N.N.
The music will be sent with the confirmation of acceptance. It can be played with or without music. The piece must not be performed in public prior to the competition.
A recital of choice lasting no longer than 60 minutes (50 to 55 minutes playing time) including a virtuoso piece with piano and piece from the following list:
- Isang Yun: Duo for viola and piano
- George Rochberg: Sonata for viola and piano
- Josef Tal: Sonata for viola and piano
- Toru Takemitsu / Toshio Hosokawa: “A String around Autumn”
- Bohuslav Martinu° : Sonata for Viola and Piano
- Arnold Bax: Sonata for viola and piano
- Betsy Jolas: Points d’Aube (viola & piano)
- Paul Hindemith: Sonata (1939) for viola and piano
All pieces must be played in full.
The last round will be played with the Hamburger Camerata without conductor, the candidates will lead the rehearsal.
- Franz Anton Hoffmeister: Concerto for viola D major
Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich Benda: Concerto for viola No. 3 E-flat major
- Edison Denisov: Chamber music for viola, harpsichord and strings (can be played with music)