Immediate Measures for Berlin Scientific and Academic Institutions to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus
In light of the situation resulting from the spread of the coronavirus, we as a university are obliged to respond responsibly, prudently, and with consideration for the future. Our aims are to stem the spread of the virus, gain time, and adjust our actions accordingly. On 11 March 2020, the Senate Chancellery for Science and Research adopted immediate measures in agreement with the state universities in the State of Berlin and on the advice of health experts at Charité–Universitätsmedizin Berlin.
Immediate measures for all Berlin universities
- The immediate cancellation of all conferences, conventions and other events during the current lecture-free period as well as for the lecture period of summer semester 2020 (until 20.07.2020). This also applies to events organized by third parties.
- The immediate cancellation of all courses requiring physical attendance being held in the current lecture-free period. Each university will examine the possibility of providing these as online courses.
- The universities are required to evaluate on the basis of the guidelines provided by the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) whether examinations scheduled for the period up until 20.07.20 can be conducted. Agreement concerning the conducting of state examinations is to be taken in conjunction with the relevant Berlin Senate Departments, namely those for Justice, Health, and Education. Ongoing and scheduled internships which are components of degree programs are to be conducted in accordance with the requirements of the institutions or organizations where the internships are taking place.
- The start of the summer semester lecture period for universities is to be postponed until 20.04.2020. The universities are to prepare measures to deal with any necessary postponements of classes and examinations or shortening of semesters (such as providing block seminars or online formats).
- Other functions such as research operations, administration and libraries are to be maintained for the time being.
Please note the change: The UdK Berlin and TU Berlin library will closefrom 11 March 2020. This applies until further notice.
- All students, researchers and staff of academic institutions returning from regions designated as risk areas by the RKI are required to self-impose a 14-day quarantine.
- Official trips as well as study and research stays in regions designated as risk areas by the RKI are not being approved.
- The universities and research institutions are required to communicate applicable measures to their members and to adjust these measures on an ongoing basis to reflect changes to the situation. If they have not already done so, the universities and research institutions are to adjust their procedures for dealing with pandemics.
Special measures are being adopted in cooperation with Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin and Studierendenwerk Berlin.
Further immediate measures
In addition, the universities are called upon to introduce further specific measures. The UdK Berlin and TU Berlin library will closefrom 11 March 2020. This applies until further notice.
We are happy to answer questions specifically regarding the University and will make every effort to respond promptly. Please refer to the FAQs on our website about the coronavirus to remain up to date. The webpage includes updates from the Crisis Committee.
With immediate effect all events, conferences and conventions of the UdK Berlin are cancelled until further notice.
Here you can find all the informations about the current developments of the coronavirus and immediate measures at the UdK Berlin.
Due to the situation regarding the corona virus, the UdK University Management and the TU Crisis Committee have decided as a precautionary measure to close the University Libraries and the University Archives of the TU from Thursday, 12 March 2020 until further notice.
Get the latest news about the current developments and immediate measures of coronavirus at UdK Berlin on our twitter channel @DerKunste.