Recognition of international educational qualifications
If you come from one of the countries mentioned and have studied there, a special visa procedure applies to you. In any case, contact the Akademische Prüfstelle APS, which is affiliated with the German Embassy, well in advance of your application. You can find detailed information and forms on their homepage.
PR China - Gaokao procedure - Please note:
If you go through the Gaokao procedure for prospective students of the APS, your documents must additionally be checked by uni-assist e.V. so that you receive a VPD. This is necessary so that the UdK Berlin can clarify your subject affiliation.
What is uni-assist e.V.?
Uni-assist e.V. is the "Working and Service Centre for International Student Applications", which checks and evaluates foreign certificates.
An evaluation of the certificates is possible all year round, regardless of the application deadline at the UdK Berlin.
The processing time is approx. four to six weeks (from receipt of documents and payment).
uni-assist e.V. only carries out the preliminary examination of certificates for the UdK Berlin and prepares a "Vorprüfungsdokumentation" (VPD).
The application for the desired degree programme takes place within the application deadline via the campus management portal my.udk-berlin. Therefore, submit your VPD to us in good time with the remaining documents relevant for the application.
If you do not receive the VPD in time, it may be submitted later in exceptional cases. In this case, please provide evidence of you have applied for a VPD with your application.
Please note that enrolment cannot take place without a VPD!
Who needs to contact uni-assist e.V.?
Bachelor degree programmes:
You need the VPD if you have acquired your higher education entrance qualification abroad or have acquired a foreign school-leaving qualification in Germany (e.g. IB Diploma) and are applying for the following degree programmes:
- Social and Business Communication
- Visual Communication
- Music education
- Church Music
- Sound Engineering
- all teacher training courses
- Art and media (Absolvent*in)
Master degree programmes:
You need the VPD when applying for all Master's programmes at the UdK Berlin if you obtained your first degree abroad.
When do you not need to contact uni-Assist e.V.?
- if you have a German higher education entrance qualification or a German higher education degree
- if you have been recognised and assessed by an APS certificate (China, Mongolia, Vietnam)
Exception China: Gaokoa procedure
- if you have completed a Studienkolleg (preparatory course) in Germany that is relevant to your chosen degree programme
What documents does uni-assist e.V. need from you?
Bachelor degree programmes:
- A copy of the university entrance qualification / school leaving certificate including the overview of grades.
- for IB-Diploma: please submit the four semesters of the final phase of your studies
Copies of previous academic achievements (if available)
- Single copy of your university degree including the overview of grades.
If the transcripts are not in German or English, you must submit a certified translation in addition to the original.
The required documents are only uploaded digitally at uni-assist e.V., this also applies to possible certified translations. If documents need to be submitted later, you will be informed by uni-assist e.V..
How do I apply for a VPD at uni-assist e.V.?
- register in the uni-assist portal
- then select the semester and the university (Berlin University of the Arts)
- select whether you would like to apply for a Bachelor's programme, a Master's programme or a graduate programme at the UdK Berlin ("BA - all subjects", "MA - all subjects" and "Graduate - all subjects")
- fill in the required forms and upload the necessary documents in the uni-assist portal
- payment of the fees can be made directly in the uni-assist portal
- after receipt of the documents and payment you will receive a confirmation of receipt from uni-assist
- If you do not have a VPD for your desired degree programme at the time of application, please send us the confirmation of receipt as a provisional replacement with the required application documents for the respective degree programme.
=> uni-assist e.V. and the UdK Berlin have opted for a purely digital procedure. It is therefore not necessary for you to send documents to uni-assist e.V. by post.