Church Music Bachelor
15 March – 15 April for the winter semester
• General Higher Education Entrance Qualification and musical talent (Exception: applicants may be accepted without a university entrance qualification if they demonstrate outstanding musical talent)
• Sufficient knowledge of German ( At the time of application: proof of linguistic ability equivalent to level B1, and for matriculation: proof of linguistic ability equivalent to level C1)
All steps mentioned in the following must be taken within the application deadline of the respective study program. It is recommended that you apply as early as possible within the application deadline so that you can clarify any questions that may arise with our StudyGuide in good time.
- Register and verify your identity (if you have not already done so in the past) in the Campusmanagement-Portal of the UdK Berlin: https://my.udk-berlin.de.
Log in to the Campus Management Portal (https://my.udk-berlin.de) and submit an application for admission to the desired degree program there within the application deadline and upload the following formal documents in a PDF file (max. 20 MB) to the application portal during the application process:
● Detailed CV in tabular form
● unauthenticated photocopy of the university entrance qualification certificate (Information for an application with a foreign certificte can be found below)
● Bank statement as proof of payment of the fee of € 30 for processing the application (in case of transfer from abroad proof of payment) or turnover view (in case of online banking). Other proofs/receipts (such as transfer orders) are not accepted.
● International applicants must also provide proof of their German language skills: language certificate German B1 for application and language certificate German C1 for enrolment.
You can find more information here.
● Transfer students from other univercities must enclose proof of previous study and examination achievements. You can find more information here.
- Information on transferring 30 € for participation in the admission procedure to the following account:
Kasse der UdK Berlin
IBAN: DE 72 1009 0000 8841 0150 46
BIC: BEVO DE BB XXX
Reason for payment: 35/01036, degree programme, name, application number
Berliner Volksbank eG
Budapester Straße 35
For foreign bank transfers:
Please make sure that you pay all applicable transfer fees (OUR - sender pays costs) when making the transfer
More information about the application fee could be found here.
All applicants who have applied by the deadline will receive an invitation to the entrance examination by e-mail.
Applicants should prepare the following:
Four different works, preferably in different styles of music (baroque style, classical music, contemporary music/Neue Musik). The applicant’s selection of works is seen as part of his/her artistic overall performance. We recommend that applicants make contact with suitable teachers in their major subject in good time before applying.
The entrance examination consists of the following:
•Organ Repertoire: Performance of three greater organ works – chosen by the applicant – from different epochs of which one has to be an
either free genre or choral work by J.S. Bach
• Liturgical Organ Playing/Improvisation:
a) With preparation: Prelude and four-part harmony, improvisation either free or in a certain style (applicant’s choice)
b) Without preparation: Intonation and four-part harmony, arrangement for two-voices, short free improvisation over a given theme
• Piano playing:
Presentation of three self-chosen pieces of different styles
• Music theory and ear training:
a) Written exam (approx. 2 hours): simple numbered Basso continuo, simple movement for four-voices on a given
melody, basic knowledge of Roman numeral analysis and/or functional harmony, identification of intervals, triads, tetrads
and rhythms (dictation of simple melodic and harmonic structures)
b) If necessary additional oral exam
• Singing: Performance of self-chosen song, degree of difficulty comparable to the Lieder in Schemelli’s songbook
• Choral conducting:
Rehearsing a small given choir piece (canon, etc.) with a choir. You will be informed about the piece 8 days ahead ofthe exam.
Usually the exam is followed by a conversation between the commission and the candidate.