Orchestral Musician Master (incl. Early Music and Contemporary Music)
For applications for the summer semester 2024, there will be a two-stage artistic admission procedure, consisting of a pre-selection and the entrance examination.
All further information on the procedure of the modified procedure, among others on the execution of the pre-selection, can be found further down on this page under the text section Admission Procedure in the Implementation Regulations.
The artistic instrumental training in the Master's degree programme Orchestra Musician is offered for the following instruments:
String instruments: violin, viola, violoncello, double bass, concert guitar, harp
Wind and other orchestral instruments: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, horn / French horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, percussion, timpani
Historical instruments: lute, recorder, transverse flute, baroque violin, baroque cello, baroque bassoon, baroque oboe and baroque viola
15 Oktober – 15 November for the summer semester
15 March – 15 April for the winter semester
Applications for flute are not possible for the summer semester 2024!
• Bachelor or comparable degree in orchestral instruments
• special musical talent
• for international applicants: sufficient knowledge of German (language certificate German A2 for application and language certificate German B2 for enrolment)
• Applicants who have completed a six (180 LP according to ECTS) or seven (210 LP according to ECTS) semester Bachelor's program must complete an appropriate adaptation program after passing the exam.
All steps mentioned in the following must be taken within the application deadline of the respective study program. It is recommended that you apply as early as possible within the application deadline so that you can clarify any questions that may arise with our StudyGuide in good time.
- Register and verify your identity (if you have not already done so in the past) in the Campusmanagement-Portal of the UdK Berlin: https://my.udk-berlin.de.
Log in to the Campus Management Portal (https://my.udk-berlin.de) and submit an application for admission to the desired degree program there within the application deadline and upload the following formal documents in a PDF file (max. 20 MB) to the application portal during the application process:
● Detailed CV in tabular form incl. information about previous studies
● Certificate of university graduation, foreign certificates have to be handed in as certified translation (Information for an application with a foreign university degree can be found here)
● Bank statement as proof of payment of the fee of € 30 for processing the application (in case of transfer from abroad proof of payment) or turnover view (in case of online banking). Other proofs/receipts (such as transfer orders) are not accepted.
● International applicants must also provide proof of their German language skills: language certificate German A2 for application and language certificate German B2 for enrolment. You can find more information here.
● Transfer students from other univercities must enclose proof of previous study and examination achievements. You can find more information here
ATTENTION: For some instruments a digital portfolio is required, which has to be uploaded on Bemus parallel to the application deadline. Other instruments do a pre-selection on-site in presence. Information can be found in the Implementation Regulations in the section Admission Procedure.
Information on transferring the amount of 30 € to the following account:
Kasse der UdK Berlin
IBAN: DE 72 1009 0000 8841 0150 46
BIC: BEVO DE BB XXX
Reason for payment: 35/01036, course of studies, name, application number
Berliner Volksbank eG
Budapester Street 35
For international bank transfers:
Please make sure that you pay all applicable transfer fees (OUR - sender pays costs) when making the transfer.
More information about application fee could be found here.
The admission procedure consists of the preselection and the entrance examination. You will find information on the details of the admission procedure in the implementation regulations ("Ausführungsbestimmungen") for the Bachelor's degree programme Orchestral Instruments.
A Pre-selection - audition or upload of a digital portfolio via the UdK portal Bemus
The pre-selection is performed on the basis of the repertoire required for the entrance examination. The admissions committee listens to an excerpt of approximately five minutes from the prepared programme.
The pre-selection is passed by those who do not already show a lack of the special artistic talent required for this degree programme during the first assessment.
If you pass, you will be informed accordingly about the entrance examination.
There is no application procedure for the instrument flute for the summer semester 2024. Please refer to the ApplicationGuide of the UdK Berlin again for information on applying for the winter semester 2024-25.
For the instruments "historical instruments" (e.g. baroque cello, baroque bassoon, baroque oboe, baroque viola, baroque violin, basso continuo, recorder, lute/theorbo), bassoon, horn, oboe, trombone, drums, trumpet and tuba the pre-selection will be carried out as follows:
After the formal examination of the Registration and Examination Office, you will receive an e-mail with the exact information about the date, time and place of the entrance examination (in presence). Likewise, the date of the entrance examination will be communicated (usually on the same day or very soon). Who is allowed to take part in the entrance examination will be decided with the pre-selection.
Please prepare three complete works of different styles for the pre-selection. First-year students can also prepare individual movements.
For the instruments guitar, harp, clarinet, double bass, saxophone, viola, violin and violoncello the pre-selection will be carried out as follows:
For the pre-selection, samples of work (digital portfolio) must be submitted parallel to the application deadline (15 October to 15 November 2023).
Applicants for guitar, harp, clarinet, double bass, saxophone and violoncello should submit videos of three works of different styles.
Applicants in viola submit videos of the following repertoire:
- movement including cadenza (if any) from a viola concerto
- an etude or caprice
- a solo suite or comparable work
Total duration at least 20 minutes, maximum 30 minutes
Applicants in violin submit videos of the following repertoire:
- movement including cadenza (if any) from a violin concerto
- an etude or caprice
- a solo suite or comparable work
Total duration at least 20 minutes, maximum 30 minutes.
Information on uploading the digital portfolio:
Upload portal Bemus https://bemus.udk-berlin.de/
Login: Please use the login name and password that you use when registering and applying in the campus management portal my.udk-berlin.de.
|permitted file formats:
|PDF (max. 50 MB), MP4, MOV, M4V (Video formats each 2 GB)
|Max. Amount of files:
|Max. File volume
Those who have passed the preselection will be admitted to the entrance examination.
The entrance examination usually takes place at the end of the lecture period for the following semester in presence.
Contents of the entrance examination are:
a. Performance of three works, one of which must be a decidedly virtuoso work and one of which should be from the field of contemporary music; the choice of a focus (early music or new music) should be included in the selection of the prepared works;
b. sight-reading (work sample) and
c. a short professional discussion.
The entrance examination lasts approx. 15 minutes. If necessary, only excerpts of the prepared programme will be listened to.