Orchestral Musician Master (incl. Early Music and Contemporary Music)
The artistic instrumental training in the Master's degree programme Orchestra Musician is offered for the following instruments:
String instruments: violin, viola, violoncello, double bass, concert guitar, harp
Wind and other orchestral instruments: flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, saxophone, French horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, percussion, timpani
Historical instruments: lute, recorder, transverse flute, baroque violin, baroque cello, baroque bassoon, baroque oboe and baroque viola
15 Oktober – 15 November for the summer semester
15 March – 15 April for the winter semester
• Bachelor or comparable degree in orchestral instruments
• special musical talent
• for international applicants: sufficient knowledge of German (language certificate German A2 for application and language certificate German B2 for enrolment)
All steps mentioned in the following must be taken within the application deadline of the respective study program. It is recommended that you apply as early as possible within the application deadline so that you can clarify any questions that may arise with our StudyGuide in good time.
- Register and verify your identity (if you have not already done so in the past) in the Campusmanagement-Portal of the UdK Berlin: https://my.udk-berlin.de.
Log in to the Campus Management Portal (https://my.udk-berlin.de) and submit an application for admission to the desired degree program there within the application deadline and upload the following formal documents in a PDF file (max. 20 MB) to the application portal during the application process:
● Detailed CV in tabular form incl. information about previous studies
● Certificate of university graduation, foreign certificates have to be handed in as certified translation (Information for an application with a foreign university degree can be found here)
● Bank statement as proof of payment of the fee of € 30 for processing the application (in case of transfer from abroad proof of payment) or turnover view (in case of online banking). Other proofs/receipts (such as transfer orders) are not accepted.
● International applicants must also provide proof of their German language skills: language certificate German A2 for application and language certificate German B2 for enrolment. You can find more information here.
● Transfer students from other univercities must enclose proof of previous study and examination achievements. You can find more information here
Information on transferring the amount of 30 € to the following account:
Kasse der UdK Berlin
IBAN: DE 72 1009 0000 8841 0150 46
BIC: BEVO DE BB XXX
Reason for payment: 35/01036, course of studies, name, application number
Berliner Volksbank eG
Budapester Street 35
For international bank transfers:
Please make sure that you pay all applicable transfer fees (OUR - sender pays costs) when making the transfer.
More information about application fee could be found here.
All applicants who have applied on time with the complete documents will receive an invitation to the entrance examination with the binding dates and further information by e-mail
Three complete works must be prepared for the examination, one of which must be a decidedly virtuoso work and one of which should be from the field of contemporary music. The choice of a main focus (early music or contemporary music) should be taken into account in the selection of the prepared works.
For viola, in addition to the 3 works, two contrasting orchestral pieces of own choice are to be prepared.
For violin, the following must be prepared: At least three works of different styles, including a solo sonata, a capriccio and a concerto.
The works must be prepared in their entirety, with all movements. The commission reserves the right to listen to only parts of the prepared programme.