Music Education Master of Arts
15 March – 15 April for the winter semester
• University degree in the field of music
The following degrees are recommended for the respective profiles:
1. profile music theory
Bachelor's degree in Music Education , teaching-related Bachelor's degree with the school subject Music, Church Music, Sound Engineering, Artistic Education in Instruments or Singing or a comparable degree.
2. profile choral and ensemble conducting
Bachelor's degree in Music Education, teaching-related Bachelor's degree with the school subject Music, Church Music, Artistic Education in Instruments or Singing or a comparable degree
3. Elementary Music Education (EMP)
Bachelor's degree in Artistic-Musical Education Music, teaching-related Bachelor's degree with the core subject Music, Church Music or a comparable degree
• Musical talent
• For international applicants: sufficient knowledge of German (At the time of application: proof of linguistic ability equivalent to level B1, and for matriculation: proof of linguistic ability equivalent to level C1)
All steps mentioned in the following must be taken within the application deadline of the respective study program. It is recommended that you apply as early as possible within the application deadline so that you can clarify any questions that may arise with our StudyGuide in good time.
- Register and verify your identity (if you have not already done so in the past) in the Campusmanagement-Portal of the UdK Berlin: https://my.udk-berlin.de.
Log in to the Campus Management Portal (https://my.udk-berlin.de) and submit an application for admission to the desired degree program there within the application deadline and upload the following formal documents in a PDF file (max. 20 MB) to the application portal during the application process:
● detailed CV in tabular form
● certificate of university graduation, foreign certificates have to be handed in as certified translation (German or English)
● Foreign certificates must be recognised by uni-assist before the application at UdK Berlin.More information could be found here.
● Bank statement as proof of payment of the fee of € 30 for processing the application (in case of transfer from abroad proof of payment) or turnover view (in case of online banking). Other proofs/receipts (such as transfer orders) are not accepted.
● International applicants must also provide proof of their German language skills: language certificate German B1 for application and language certificate German C1 for enrolment. You can find more information here.
● Transfer students from other univercities must enclose proof of previous study and examination achievements. You can find more information here.
- Information on transferring the 30 € for participation in the admission procedure to the following account:
Kasse der UdK Berlin
IBAN: DE 72 1009 0000 8841 0150 46
BIC: BEVO DE BB XXX
Reason for payment: 35/01036, degree programme, name, application number
Berliner Volksbank eG
Budapester Straße 35
For foreign bank transfers:
Please make sure that you pay all applicable transfer fees (OUR - sender pays costs) when making the transfer.
Generally the emtrance exam takes place in mid-June/ mid-July. They are planned as presence examinations at the UdK Berlin. The admissions office will send out date and place of the exam 4 weeks before the exam date.
The examination consists of the following:
Proile Music theory
• Aural test (written, 1h)
• 3 exercises on the techniques of movements and an analysis exercise (3h exam)
• piano praxis (playing cadences, basso continuo, Lied accompaniment, improvisation
Sample tests can be found here:
Profile Elementary music education
• test of speaking voice (health, capacity of the speaking voice); presentation of a prepared text in German
• test of the singing voice; singing of a prepared melody of the candidate’s own choice in German (e.g. simple Lied)
• test of pedagogic abilities: working on a practical task from the area of elementary music pedagogy given by the entrance committee
• movement test: given task from the area of movement and improvisation
• presentation of a movement with music
• ad-hoc creation of a two-voiced rhythm together with a group
Profile Choir and ensemble conducting
• presentations of Lieder and sight-reading of a choir voice
• choir practice