For more detailed information, please change to the German version of this website.

After your studies

Update on 16 May 2024

Work: You would like to work in Germany after your graduation at UdK Berlin

If you want to work in Germany after graduating from UdK Berlin, you must change your residence permit, even if it only expires after your graduation. This is because the purpose of your residence permit will no longer be fulfilled after graduation.

We therefore recommend that you apply for a presidence permit for job-seeking qualified skilled workers – Issuance (c) right after your final exam. Please note that this residence permit is granted for a maximum of 18 months and that this period begins on the day of your last examination.

As there are hardly any appointments available online, please proceed as follows:

  1. Compile documents:
    - a letter from your contact person at the Immatrikulations- und Prüfungsamtstating that you have successfully completed your studies at UdK Berlin and that your Urkunde will be issued soon.
    - copy of your visa / residence permit
    - List of further required documents:
  2. Open the online form + select the subject "Residence permit for employment and job search":
  3. Enter personal details + upload documents in a PDF file
  4. Print out the confirmation of contact with the Immigration Office and keep it in a safe place. The confirmation certifies that your residence permit is still valid until your appointment at the Immigration Office. This means that you can continue to study or work until then.
  5. Wait until the Immigration Office contacts you and invites you to an appointment. The processing time can take up to 8 weeks. If you have not heard from them after 3 months, please contact us.

PLEASE NOTE:  You cannot travel abroad in the period between the expiry of your residence permit and your appointment at the Immigration Office. If you are planning to travel, please mention this in the online form and upload your travel tickets, invitation etc. along with the other documents.

Good to know:
During your job search, you are allowed to do any kind of work (including internships and freelance work) or start your own business.
- If you are interested in freelance work or in starting a business, please contact the Career & Transfer Service Center (CTC) of UdK Berlin. They offer free workshops, individual counselling and coaching for business start-ups for students and alumni of UdK Berlin (up to 5 years after graduation).
- At the bottom of this page, you will find detailed information on possible residence permits after your studies (for download).

Study: you would like to continue studying in Germany after graduation

If you wish to continue your studies at UdK Berlin or at another German university (Master's, Diploma, PhD, etc.), you must apply for an extension of your residence permit for the purpose of studying at the Landesamt für Einwanderung of your place of study.

Apostille: you need an apostille for the degrees and certificates acquired at UdK Berlin

If you need an apostille for your degrees and certificates at UdK, please contact the following staff members. Documents with apostille must then be certified by the Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten (LABO).


Overview of options after graduation

Last update on 12.03.2024

You can find an overview of your options after graduating from UdK Berlin in the PDF presentation "Prospects for non-EU graduates of UdK Berlin".

Related Topics