Repertoire im Fach Viola
- Johann Sebastian Bach: 2 contrasting movements from a sonata or partita for violin solo BWV 1001-1006 or from the suites for viola solo BWV 1007-1012
- First movement from the Viola Concerto by William Walton or Béla Bartók
- Franz Xaver Mozart: First movement from the E major sonata for Viola and Piano
If possible, all pieces should be recorded in one recording session in the same room. If this is not possible and the individual pieces are recorded in different sessions, they should still all be uploaded under one link (not three different links). The recording must not be older than six months. In your own interest for the quality, we recommend recording in a studio or hall that provides good acoustic conditions.
Max. 25 min. playing time. Longer programs will be shortened by the jury.
- Johann Sebastian Bach: 2 contrasting movements from a sonata or partita BWV 1001-1006 or from the suites for viola solo BWV 1007-1012
- 2 contrasting movements from a suite for viola solo by Max Reger, Adolf Busch, Fjodor Druschinin or Paul Hindemith
- First movement of one of the following sonatas:
· Franz Xaver Mozart: Sonata E major for Viola and Piano or
· Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Sonata C minor for Viola and Piano or
· Franz Schubert: Sonata A minor D 821 “Arpeggione"
- Franz Anton Hoffmeister: Viola Concerto in D major, 1st movement
A stylistically diverse recital of 60 minutes (55 minutes of music) including:
5. Przemyslaw Pujanek: DENTRO (7 min)
Compulsory composition written for the International Max Rostal Competition.
The music will be sent with the confirmation of admission to the competition. It can be played with or without music. The piece must not be performed in public prior to the competition.
6. A piece from the following list:
- Isang Yun: Duo for viola and piano
- George Rochberg: Sonata for viola and piano
- Josef Tal: Sonata for viola and piano
- Toru Takemitsu / Toshio Hosokawa: “A String around Autumn”
- Bohuslav Martinu° : Sonata for Viola and Piano
- Betsy Jolas: Points d’Aube (viola & piano)
- Paul Hindemith: Sonata (1939) for viola and piano
- Detlef Glanert: Drei Stücke für Viola und Klavier op. 1
- Dimitri Schostakowitsch: Sonata op. 147
- Arthur Benjamin: Sonata for Viola and Piano
Further works of own choice. (Only complete works are allowed.)
The last round will be played with the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin with conductor Pavel Baleff.
7. William Walton: Viola Concerto or Béla Bartók: Viola Concerto (Ed. Serly)
The pieces from sections 1,2,4 and 7 should be performed by heart. It is recommended that candidates work from the Urtext edition.