Advanced Professional Training for Conductors
The Advanced Professional Training for Conductors is aimed at students already beyond the master level or for conductors with considerable experience and partially working who are still looking to receive feedback on and further assistance with their craft. The course is one hundred percent practical and involves active participation in the projects of the International Conducting Academy Berlin. They are also eligible for various assistantships and cooperations with Berlin’s opera houses and professional orchestras.
- frequent conducting of live ensembles, singers and solo instrumentalists
- master classes, rehearsals and concerts with professional orchestras
- regular conducting classes with studio orchestra of the UdK Berlin
- regular video analysis of orchestral sessions
- laboratory work with two pianos
- instruction and practical experience in rehearsal planning, orchestral set up, off-stage music, preparation of orchestral material, programming and management of largescale projects
- final exam with orchestral concert or opera performance
- exceptional musical aptitude as a conductor
- a Bachelors or Masters degree in Conducting
In exceptional cases also one of the following Bachelor or Masters degrees may also be accepted: First study orchestral instrument or piano, singing, composition, music pedagogy, church music, record producer, non-performing music degree from a university.
- Complete online application form on the Berlin Career College's website by 14.02. - 05.03.2018.
- Send by post the following additional application material to arrive by 14.02. - 05.03.2018:
- a detailed tabular CV/Resume with information about ensembles and works conducted in concert
- a DVD video (region-free) of applicant conducting an orchestra or other live ensemble in rehearsal and/or concert or a link to a video on the internet which can be viewed online (min. 5 minutes, max. 45 minutes). The applicant should be filmed from the front and be clearly recognizable.
- degree certificates and other relevant certificates
- payment of the 30 Euro non-refundable application fee (you will be informed how to pay on completing the online part of your application).
On the basis of your application we will decide whether to invite you for the entrance audition at the UdK Berlin.
The entrance audition will take place on 8th and 9th of May 2018 at the Universität der Künste for entry in October 2016. The entrance audition is divided into two rounds:
Rehearsal with orchestra of symphonic works and/or opera excerpts selected by the jury communicated to applicants three weeks before the audition.
Round 2: (after successful completion of round 1)
a) Written exam to test musical knowledge and ability (aural tests, knowledge of instruments and scores, music theory and orchestral and opera repertoire)
b) interview to assess conducting experience and knowledge
e) a further rehearsal with orchestra of symphonic works and opera excerpts selected by the jury communicated to applicants three weeks before the audition.
By sending your questions to Harry Curtis, conducting tutor and course co-ordinator, a.curtis. @udk-berlin.de