Advanced Professional Training for Conductors
The International Conducting Academy Berlin offers a unique studying opportunity for highly gifted aspiring conductors as Advanced Professional Training for Conductors.
The Advanced Professional Training for Conductors lasts one year (two semesters) beginning in the winter semester. Students who successfully complete the course receive the Postgraduate Diploma of the International Conducting Academy Berlin.
The Advanced Professional Training for Conductors is aimed at students already beyond the master level or for conductors with considerable experience and partially working who are still looking to receive feedback on and further assistance with their craft. The course is one hundred percent practical and involves active participation in the projects of the International Conducting Academy Berlin. They are also eligible for various assistantships and cooperations with Berlin’s opera houses and professional orchestras.
- frequent conducting of live ensembles, singers and solo instrumentalists
- master classes, rehearsals and concerts with professional orchestras
- regular conducting classes with studio orchestra of the UdK Berlin
- regular video analysis of orchestral sessions
- laboratory work with two pianos
- instruction and practical experience in rehearsal planning, orchestral set up, off-stage music, preparation of orchestral material, programming and management of largescale projects
- final exam with orchestral concert or opera performance
- exceptional musical aptitude as a conductor
- a Bachelors or Masters degree in Conducting
In exceptional cases also one of the following Bachelor or Masters degrees may also be accepted: First study orchestral instrument or piano, singing, composition, music pedagogy, church music, record producer, non-performing music degree from a university.
The Advanced Professional Training for Conductors is administered by Berlin Career College, a part of the University of Arts. Applications can be submitted either by going directly to Berlin Career College’s website or by clicking on the red “Application” link below, which will be activated on 15. February. This marks the beginning of the application period which ends on 15. March. Applications after this date will not be considered.
To complete your application you will need to:
1.complete the online application form
2. upload the following additional application material via the online application form (please combine your documents into a maximum of two files):
a detailed tabular CV/Resumé
a representative list of ensembles and works conducted in concert
a letter of motivation outlining (a) how you heard about the course and (b) why you wish to study on this course and with these teachers
degree certificates and other relevant certificates
3. send to the email address ICAB a link to a video on the internet which can be viewed online of the applicant conducting an orchestra or other live ensemble (min 5 minutes, max 45 minutes) The applicant should be filmed from the front and be clearly recognizable. @udk-berlin.de
4. pay a € 30 non-refundable application fee: you will be informed how to pay after you receive confirmation that your application has been received.
Application period: 15.02. - 15.03.2021
The entrance audition is divided into two rounds:
Rehearsal with orchestra of symphonic works and/or opera excerpts selected by the jury communicated to applicants three weeks before the audition.
Round 2: (after successful completion of round 1)
a) Written exam to test musical knowledge and ability (aural tests, knowledge of instruments and scores, music theory and orchestral and opera repertoire)
b) interview to assess conducting experience and knowledge
e) a further rehearsal with orchestra of symphonic works and opera excerpts selected by the jury communicated to applicants three weeks before the audition.