Many projects for refugees are taking place at UdK Berlin On this page you will find a selection of current and past events.
Third party councelling for scholars and artists at risk
We advise scholars and artists who are at risk and have to leave their country or who have already fled and are staying in Germany or Europe. We will discuss with you the possibilities of realising your research project or artistic project with external third-party funding at the UdK Berlin. For all these projects, it is necessary to find a professor at the university who has the appropriate expertise for your project and who will support you.
With our offer we address people from Ukraine as well as people from other non-European countries.
We support scholars at risk in the following areas
- in the search for a supervisor for a doctorate at the UdK Berlin,
- in the search for a mentor at the UdK Berlin for a postdoctoral research project
- as well as in the search for external funding for doctoral and postdoctoral research projects.
For the consultation, we require a curriculum vitae, information on your current life situation and a detailed synopsis of the intended doctoral or postdoctoral research project in German or English. A short version of 5 pages is sufficient for the first contact with a professor at the UdK Berlin.
To find a professor who is suitable for you as a mentor or supervisor, you can either look through the list of all professors from the UdK Berlin's list of persons.
Alternatively, you can find out more about the various institutes and degree programmes and their lecturers on the websites of the faculties and the Berlin Career College:
- College of Fine Arts
- College of Architecture, Media and Design
- College of Music
- College of Performing Arts
- Berlin Career College
You have to apply for an individual doctorate at the UdK Berlin. Here you will find information on the procedure for enrolment as a doctoral candidate and on doctoral studies at the various faculties.
The following external funding opportunities are available specifically for scholars at risk:
- DAAD, Funding for doctoral candidates from Ukraine
- DAAD, Hilde Domin Programme for students and doctoral candidates
- Einstein Foundation, Einstein Guest Researchers to foster academic freedom, next call in 2025
- DFG, Walter Benjamin Programme for postdocs, no deadline
- Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung: Philip-Schwartz-Initiative for postdocs, deadline: 15/09/2023
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research / Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF): Cooperation between Germany and Ukraine, Text only available in German: Forschungs- und Entwicklungszusammenarbeit zwischen Deutschland und der Ukraine
- Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt: MOE Fellowship Special Program Ukraine
- Institute of International Education's Scholar Rescue Fund
- Academy in Exile
We support artists and cultural actors at risk
- in their search for a mentor at the UdK Berlin and
- in their research for external funding for scholarships or projects.
For the consultation, we require a curriculum vitae, information on the current life situation as well as a detailed exposé for the artistic project or cultural project that could be realised at the UdK Berlin.
The following external funding opportunities are available specifically for artists and cultural actors at risk:
- Martin Roth Initiative: funding enables cultural and civil society organisations to temporarily host artists and cultural actors, next deadline in autmn 2023
- Einstein Foundation, Einstein Guest Researchers to foster academic freedom, artists are also eligible to apply, next call in 2025
- European Cultural Foundation
- Artists at Risk
In addition, the ARTIST TRAINING programme at the UdK Berlin offers professional artists at risk a further training programme for qualification, counselling and networking of professional artists in exile. It supports orientation in the local cultural sector and teaches self-management skills as a freelancer.
Within the context of the UdK Berlin Solidarity Fund, we would also like to help UdK Berlin students who have fallen on financial hardship as a result of the war in Ukraine. Those affected can draw from the UdK Berlin Solidarity Fund.
The Department for Funding and Cooperation helps to secure external funds for artistic and scientific projects. Our service provides you with essential knowledge and tools needed for successfully initiating contact and negotiating with funding organisations.