15 March – 15 April for the following winter semester
• B.Mus. in Composition from UdK Berlin or an equivalent qualification from another university or college of music
• Special musical talent
• For international applicants: sufficient knowledge of German (language certificate German A2 for application and language certificate German B2 for enrolment)
All of the following steps must be taken within the application deadline of the respective degree programme. If documents need to be sent in, they must be received by the UdK Berlin by the last day of the application deadline at the latest. It is recommended that you apply as early as possible within the application deadline so that you can clarify any questions that may arise with our StudyGuide in good time.
- Register and verify yourself (if you have not already done so in the past) in the Campus Management Portal of the UdK Berlin: https://my.udk-berlin.de
- Log in to the Campus Management Portal (https://my.udk-berlin.de) and submit an application for admission to the desired degree programme there by the application deadline. During the application process, upload the following formal documents in a PDF file (max. 20 MB) to the application portal:
● Detailed CV in tabular form
● Certificate of university graduation, foreign certificates have to be handed in as certified translation (German or English)
● Bank statement as proof of payment of the fee of € 30 for processing the application (in case of transfer from abroad proof of payment) or turnover view (in case of online banking). Other proofs/receipts (such as transfer orders) are not accepted.
● International applicants must also provide proof of their German language skills: language certificate German A2 for application and language certificate German B2 for enrolment. You can find more information here.
● a score of an own composition, instrumentation of own choice (format max. DIN A3)
● Transfer students from other univercities must enclose proof of previous study and examination achievements. You can find more information here
- Information on transferring 30 € for participation in the admission procedure to the following account:
Kasse der UdK Berlin
IBAN: DE 72 1009 0000 8841 0150 46
BIC: BEVO DE BB XXX
Reason for payment: 35/01036, degree programme, name, application number
Berliner Volksbank eG
Budapester Straße 35
For foreign bank transfers:
Please make sure that you pay all applicable transfer fees (OUR - sender pays costs) when making the transfer.
More information about application fee could be found here.
The admission procedure consists of the pre-selection and the entrance examination.
The entrance commission selects candidates for the the entrance exam on the basis of the submitted scores.
As a rule, the exam takes place in late June/mid-July for the winter semester. All applicants who have applied by the deadline will receive an invitation with further information by e-mail in good time.
The exam consists of the following parts:
• Extensive background in music history and contemporary music (colloquium)
• Composition related extensive knowledge in history, psychology, philosophy, critical theory, computer science and non-European music (colloquium)
• Annotation of scores with high complexity (colloquium)
• Presentation of a moderately difficult composition of new music on the piano or another solo instrument
• Presentation of at least 6 scores of different instrumentation
• Presentation of a number of recorded performances