Bachelor Visual Communication
15 February–15 March for the following winter semester
• University entrance qualification (“Abitur” equivalent)
• Artstic talent
• the university entrance qualification is not essential if applicants demonstrate outstanding artistic talent
• Sufficient knowledge of German
All of the following steps must be taken within the application deadline of the respective degree programme. If documents need to be sent in, they must be received by the UdK Berlin by the last day of the application deadline at the latest. It is recommended that you apply as early as possible within the application deadline so that you can clarify any questions that may arise with our StudyGuide in good time.
- Register and verify yourself (if you have not already done so in the past) in the Campus Management Portal of the UdK Berlin: https://my.udk-berlin.de
- Log in to the Campus Management Portal (https://my.udk-berlin.de) and submit an application for admission to the desired degree programme there by the application deadline. During the application process, upload the following formal documents in a PDF file (max. 20 MB) to the application portal:
● Detailed CV in tabular form together with a short description of motivation for that programme
● unauthenticated photocopy of the school graduation certificate
● Bank statement as proof of payment of the fee of € 30 for processing the application (in case of transfer from abroad proof of payment) or turnover view (in case of online banking). Other proofs/receipts (such as transfer orders) are not accepted. (For more details, see 3.)
● International applicants must also provide proof of their German language skills: language certificate German B1 for application and language certificate German C1 for enrolment. You can find more information here.
● Transfer students from other univercities must enclose proof of previous study and examination achievements. You can find more information here.
(See also section "Transfer students").
- Information on transferring the 30 €: please transfer the fee for participation in the admission procedure to the following account:
Kasse der UdK Berlin
IBAN: DE 72 1009 0000 8841 0150 46
BIC: BEVO DE BB XXX
Reason for payment: 35/01036, degree programme, name, application number
Berliner Volksbank eG
Budapester Straße 35
For foreign bank transfers:
Please make sure that you pay all applicable transfer fees (OUR - sender pays costs) when making the transfer.
After the application deadline, most likely in May 2022, you will then upload artistic work samples (a portfolio and a homework assignment) on the Bemus platform (see also section "Admission procedure").
You can log in with the same login data that you use to log in to the campus management portal my.udk-berlin.
The admission procedure consists of the preselection and the entrance examination.
The preselection is made on the basis of the portfolio and a homework assignment.
The aeristic works have to be uploaded on the Bemus platform.
The topic for the homework as well as detailed information on the upload will be sent to the applicants by e-mail approx. 4 weeks after the application deadline.
Possible file formats: PDF (50 MB), MP4, MOV, M4V (300 MB), videos max. 3 min.
Total of 4 files, max. 500 MB
In addition to the creative results of the homework, the portfolio should contain 20 independently produced artistic and creative works (graphic, photographic, typographic, drawing, spatial, digital and filmic examples of work are possible). Series of drawings, photos, typefaces etc. on one page are considered as one piece of work. The works should provide information about the applicant's working methods, interests and conceptual skills.
The entrance examination for the selected applicants usually consists of a design task and an interview with the commission.
The details will be communicated to the selected applicants by e-mail.
Students from other universities who have already completed at least 2 semesters (60 credit points according to ETCS) in a comparable degree programme (e.g. Visual communication, communication design, graphic design) at the time of application can apply as university transfer students for a higher semester.
Transfer students also take part in the regular application and admission procedure.
They must also upload a portfolio after the application deadline. A request for this will be sent by e-mail. However, the homework is not required for them.
The entrance procedure consists of the assessment of the submitted artistic works (portfolio) by the admissions committee. In cases of doubt, the commission conducts a personal interview (if necessary by video conference).
A decision on the recognition of study and examination achievements and the classification will only be made after admission.