Solo / Dance / Authorship (SODA) Master
15 January - 28 February 2023 for the summer semester 2024
• A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• In exceptional cases admission to the program may also be granted if applicants have acquired the necessary admission requirements for the program in the form of substantial professional practice
• Evidence of the candidate’s specific artistic ability in the field of body-based performative practice
• Since the working language is English, excellent written and spoken English is required and will be tested during the entrance procedure
• basic computer/ IT literacy
All the following steps must be undertaken during the application period.
Therefore it is recommended that you apply as early as possible within the application deadline so that you can clarify any questions you may have in advance. See the university StudyGuide for helpful links.
- Register and verify yourself (if you have not already done so in the past) in the Campus Management Portal of the UdK Berlin: https://my.udk-berlin.de
- Log in to the Campus Management Portal (https://my.udk-berlin.de) and submit an application for admission to the MA SODA programme by the application deadline and upload the following formal documents in PDF file format (max. 20 MB) to the application portal during the application process:
● University degree certificate; foreign certificates have to be handed in with a certified translation in German or English (Information for an application with a foreign university degree can be found below)
The uni-assist certificate ("Vorprüfungsdokumentation/VPD") has to be submitted together with the complete application.
● Proof of previous study credits and examinations, and, if applicable, proof of vocational training and professional activity
● A Curriculum Vitae outlining, where applicable, academic studies, professional experience, participation in projects, research work, prizes, awards or grants etc.
● A letter of motivation (max. 500 words) containing the following information:
- Applicant's reasons for choosing the full time 2 year study program and expectations.
- At the end of the letter please state 2 referees with contact details (name, email address and telephone number) who would be willing to be contacted if necessary.
● An artistic research statement (max. 1000 words) outlining the applicant's own current creative and artistic research interests; explanation of how these might be addressed through body-based performative practice giving details of the content, and methodologies
- Reflections on the relationship of the applicant's artistic practice to a broader cultural, political and social context.
● Bank statement as proof of payment of the fee of € 30 for processing the application (in case of transfer from abroad proof of payment) or turnover view (in case of online banking). Other proofs/receipts (such as transfer orders) are not accepted. Further information: see under 4.
3 examples of the candidate’s own body-based and performative practice (minimum 5 minutes each).
Total viewing time max. 20 minutes (all in one link).
The video material must be uploaded online within the application period. All work examples have to carry the candidate’s name, the title of the work, the year of the creation, and explanation of the applicant's role in the production. At least one work should be directly related to the candidates research statement.
The accepted file formats are MP4 (2 GB), M4V (2 GB), MOV (2 GB) and PDF (500 MB), total file size max. 8 GB, max. 6 files.
Please upload the work examples on the following platform:
The login data are the same as for the registration at https://my.udk-berlin.de
- Informtion on the transfer of 30 € for participation in the admission procedure to the following account:
Kasse der UdK Berlin
IBAN: DE 72 1009 0000 8841 0150 46
BIC: BEVO DE BB XXX
Reason for payment: 35/01036, degree programme, name, application number
Berliner Volksbank eG
Budapester Straße 35
For foreign bank transfers:
Please make sure that you pay all applicable transfer fees (sender pays costs) when making the transfer so that the University receives the full amount after the currency conversation and transfer costs.
Applicants who comply with all formalities are accepted for the admission procedure, which consists of a pre-selection and an admission examination.
The purpose of the admission procedure is to assess the candidate's suitability and capacity to undertake an MA- level course, and their specific artistic ability in the field of body-based performative arts practices. The applicant must show knowledge and a potential for artistic, critical and intellectual development, which could be expected to lead to a successful graduation from a Master's level course of studies.
Pre–selection of applicants will take place on the basis of the submitted work samples. Pre-selection will determine whether the applicant is invited to the formal Admissions Examination. The selected applicants will receive more detailed information on the entrance examination following the pre-selection in advance by e-mail.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities and are committed to making reasonable adjustments to enable students to participate fully in student life. All applications are assessed purely on academic merit and potential, according to the published selection criteria for the course you have applied for. The University views applications from students with disabilities on the same grounds as those from other candidates.
The University and its colleges make some adjustments in anticipation of disabled students’ support requirements, eg improving physical access to buildings, but also appreciate that individuals are different and further changes may need to be considered and implemented.
The studios at HZT are wheelchair accessible and there is a wheelchair accessible toilet on site. If you have any questions about accessibility in the application procedure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For general inquires that cannot be answered by referring to the Study Guide please contact: email@example.com